Friday, October 12, 2007

1,000 veteran each day in America

Ken Burns, the producer of the PBS series "The War", stated that each day in America, we lose 1,000 veterans. Think about that. 1,000 grandfathers, grandmothers, fathers, mothers, sisters and brothers. Not only will we lose the physical person, but the stories they take with them.

I know a few veterans and I enjoy spending time with all of them. Most of my family's veterans are gone now, my father built PT Boats during the war and my great uncle was killed in a submarine in the Pacific so I find time to visit with my friend's relatives. I think its because I haven't heard their stories a few dozen times like their own grandsons and sons have that I love to sit down with them and listen to how our world has changed.

With this in mind I was pleased to read this story in the Daily Democrat. Another good story written by Crystal Lee.

A new volunteer-based program in Yolo County called the Visit Our Veterans Project aims to increase social contact in the lives of war veterans.

The program, spearheaded by Woodland resident Pat Butler, began Thursday morning with a visit to 12 veterans at Alderson Convalescent Hospital on Walnut Street.

This is indeed a remarkable week. I have written two post praising the Daily Democrat. I am going to check my temperature, I may be running a fever.

No comments: