Friday, February 11, 2005

Aggies Hoops.

I just returned home from taking my son to his(and my) first college basketball game. Being Kings fans and once having season tickets, I was pleasantly surprised about calling the day of the game and getting two seats in the third row just behind the home bench for 20 dollars. We parked off campus and we rode our bikes to the rec hall. UC Davis was playing UC Santa Barbara. The gauchos put up a good fight and made a close game of it, but the Aggies free throws down the stretch and the ability to break the press put the game away in the final two minutes. My son loved it and wants to come back for the last home game Saturday against Cal Poly. As much as I disagree with most of the politics on campus, at least the ones clamoring for attention, I do like the town and the University. I like to take my son to the campus and ride around to show him what college life looks like. I told him tonight that the people that attend this school didn't just pick it because they like the campus or it was close to home. They applied and worked very hard to get into a University. I think I saw the light go on for a brief minute. If I can get him to equate the homework and other unpleasant things that he has to do, with getting into a school like Davis or a more prestigious school, that may turn up the speed on his work ethic.
One can always hope, right?
Must get to sleep, my son has no school tomorrow, but I have to work.
Ah, to be eleven again!

No comments: